Thursday, September 3, 2009

Why the hell I moved here

Question asked by Herr Heidi von der Mauer.

I moved here because my boss told me to. My other boss, the better one, figured out that I could obtain a scholarship for nine months paying a fairly good monthly stipend, and learning sociology at the same time.
In the meantime, a research project was in the making: but TRAGICALLY the person who was supposed to come here and do the fieldwork couldn't do it anymore. My better boss suggested me as a replacement, perhaps not realizing that I don't have a PhD and I had never done fieldwork (although I told her, I swear).

So the scholarship and the project were combined and I was sent off with a one-way ticket.

Why I accepted all this: because I get money in until next year and get to save part of it, which will hopefully pay me a trip to a really fun holiday destination. And also because in the European country where I have lived for the last year it's always cold, even when it's warm (roughly 7 days a year, non consecutive).

This is my 4th time in India, so I am almost used to the inverted logic and the impossible chaos. I think that, after 9 months on this roof, I will want to explore other places. But who knows.



No comments:

Post a Comment